Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:7-8
Thank you for your desire to serve as an adult leader for the 2019 LCMS Youth Gathering! The Gathering could not happen without your servant leadership. Being an adult leader is a year-plus ministry commitment. The work may be exhausting, but the investment you make in the lives of youth is invaluable. You are tasked with the high honor of being a spiritual leader for your youth. Remember, you are not in this alone. Jesus Christ is with you. He is your very present help!
An Adult Leader for the LCMS Youth Gathering is…
1) A Shepherd, not a Chaperone
- Setting an example of faith in worship, prayer, Bible study and service to Christ and His church.
- Intentionally building trusted relationships with each individual youth in your group.
- Establishing a relationship with the parents of each youth. Keep the parents well-informed of what is going on with the Gathering and encourage their involvement in the pre-and post-Gathering activities.
- Enabling and empowering each youth in your group to experience this journey to the fullest – spiritually, relationally, emotionally, etc.
- Actively encouraging each youth to help them carry through with their commitment to your group and the Gathering.
- Promoting harmony among the youth and adults through trusting and loving others in each congregational/community group and addressing conflict that could possibly divide the group.
2) Giving of “first-fruits” time vs. “leftover time”
- Making the youth and Gathering preparations a priority and investment.
- Taking a leadership role for Gathering planning and fundraising.
- Readily sacrificing your own desires to do what is best for the group and what is best for the youth, rather than what is best for you.
- Attending ALL planning meetings throughout the Gathering cycle for which you are available. If you are unable to attend a meeting, be sure to clearly communicate about your absence and follow-up with any youth in your care.
- Following the direction of the Primary Adult Leader.
- Taking an active role in post-Gathering activities and celebrations back home after the Gathering.
- Going to Minneapolis in July 2019, celebrating your life in Christ and having fun with the youth!!!
The Primary Adult Leader of your congregational group will lead the other adult leaders in accomplishing these things. S/he is also the liaison between Gathering planners and the other leaders, youth, parents, and congregations. The Primary Adult Leader is responsible for registering the group and making reservations for lodging, travel, etc. These actions may be delegated to other adult leaders by your Primary Adult Leader. Please be prepared to serve them in these matters.